May 28, 2009

Day 6 of the Great Storm Chase!

Tonight we are in the beautiful and amazing Denver, CO. I think this is one city we ALL were in excitement about to see. I've been here once several years ago when my parents and I took a western roadtrip through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado but I can't tell you how amazing it is to be back. Just shortly after passing the state line from Wyoming into Colorado you could see the snowpeaked mountains of the Rockies...AMAZING!





Before we headed to Denver, we hit up the state museum and state capital building in Wyoming since we were in the state's capital city. It was actually pretty funny because we all have a tendency to grab the football or frisbee at every stop we make and throw it around for a little bit to pass the time and of course we did that here. After coming out of the museum we ran to the lawn just in front of the state capital building and ended up playing a pickup game of van 1 vs. van 2, haha. It was a lot of fun and just the activity we needed to revamp.

We came into Denver and headed straight for Coors Field to catch the Rockies vs. Dodgers baseball game that started at 1:10 MDT (only my second major league game ever). It was HOT! Clear, beautiful, sunny skies and warm temperatures of about 74 or so and we were directly in the sunlight. Yes, I have another beautiful sunglass tan line and another farmers tan from my shirt. A lot of people got burns on themselves and ridiculous tan lines as well so I guess I fit in. We got great seats for a little over $20 just behind left field. The stadium was really sweet! The bullpen even had its own fountain and little oasis going on, haha.







Unfortunately, after leaving Cheyenne and heading to Denver I started to get a slight headache. When we got to Denver it was starting to get worse and it kept getting worse as we sat in the sun. By the time we got in the vans to head to our hotel to check in it was starting to flirt with the migraine line and it was pretty unbearable. I somehow carried my stuff up the 3 flights of stairs to Heather's and my room and I set my stuff down and literally just fell on my bed and slept for about half an hour. We were taking a short break before heading downtown to eat dinner and check out the sites...I was pretty bummed that I felt so horrible at only 5:30 pm. I decided that it'd probably be best, despite what I truly wanted to do, to stay back at the hotel and take it easy instead of joining the rest of the group for dinner. I didn't want to wear myself even more thin and I definitely wanted to try to get back into tip top shape for the weekend when we have somewhat of a shot for catching some storms.

My day ended pretty early, needless to say, and I'm sad to say I spent most of my time in the beautiful Denver watching Time Warp, Mythbusters, and Wipeout. Thankfully we're spending tomorrow in Denver again to check out some more sites. There's talks of hitting up the NWS office here in Denver, maybe going to the Coors brewery in Golden, and maybe going to the Rocky Mountain National Park.

WIBC 93.1 FM in Indianapolis has been contacting us daily to talk to our group to get interviews for the Steve Simpson show. Our professor, Dr. Call, talked to them a few times and one of the students, Andrew Duvall, spoke to them today. They seem really interested in what we're doing and how we're going about this trip. You can check it out on his show from 3-7 pm or on the streaming feed at http://www.wibc.com/simpson/. They're going to try to talk to everyone from the trip before it's all over in 12 days.

Still no storms right now...hope for the best!

Good night!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Keep asprin in your purse and take it right away when a headache starts. This will keep you from getting a migraine. You do know that your mother has cousins that live in Denver and Arvada, Colorado? I think you should have stayed in Indiana to see thunder storms least. I hope you get to chase at least one tornado that isn't close to any towns. Have a good time! Love Auntie M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol okay so I think that it's kinda funny that you have an Auntie M and are storm chasing. You must have a Dorothy complex. lol jk jk.

    p.s. i bet you don't know who this is.

    p.s.s. jk i bet you do haha.

    p.s.s.s. just in case you don't though i'll give you a clue... is that a cockroach or is that the money you could be saving with geico?... okay clue number two... the fortress of gratitude!! no more clues thats all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aunt Marty, aka Auntie M (haha), I didn't know that my mom had cousins in Colorado, she never told me! I did have some Aleve in my purse but I forgot to take it when I finally got water. Needless to say, I got some Excedrin at the store today because i forgot mine at home.

    Also, I haven't a clue who left the second comment....NOT! You know I can smell your words from a mile away, shoo girl! You know I love me some Lindsay Anderson!

    ps. I figured out who it was before you even gave me your clues, so HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol darn. i thought i was being tricky too lol. :-p

    ReplyDelete