May 29, 2009

Day 7 of the Great Storm Chase!

We just finished an unexpected meeting to make an unexpected call for tomorrow...we're leaving at 6 am to head to eastern Nebraska to get there in time for an opportunity to set up for a possible supercell outbreak. We're hoping to get there within 9 hours to get there in time...wow! Haha but we're all just ecstatic about the opportunity to actually chase SOMETHING!

As far as today went, we hit up Walmart for a few things that people were in need of and then we checked out the UCAR (University Corporation for Atmospheric Research) sight in Boulder, CO which was an AWESOME experience! We got a free tour and we got to check out the sight that had an AMAZING view of all of Boulder and all of Denver because it was right on the mountainside.


A tornado generating machine...probably the best invention EVER!



After that, we headed to Golden, CO because a lot of the guys wanted to check out the area because that's where the Coors Brewery is located. Yes, we ended up touring the facility, haha. It was actually a lot more interesting than I expected and for the people over 21, they got 3 free full-sized beers to drink at the end of the tour. It was a fun time and I learned a lot about the biggest brewery sight in the world.











Next, we went to Morrison, CO to see the Red Rocks and the famous amphitheater that is completely natural. We couldn't really stop to see the actual amphitheater because there was a punk rost festival, lol, but we stopped just above it to take some beautiful pictures of the view.









Today has been an absolutely breath-taking day looking at all these amazing sights. We got back early tonight to our hotel that we stayed in last night (still in Denver) so of course we decided to play a football game. It was 9 of us total that played so the team I was on had one sub. It was such a fun game but we had to play in a parking lot next door because there was absolutely no grass space nearby. I thought it was funny because the guys told me I was one of the guys now...no problem!

It turned out to be a pretty competitive game and it's not everyday that you get to play defense against your professor and smack the ball of his hands, lol. I made a few good plays to where I scored a touchdown and caught one pass right along the boundary and ended up diving into a bush! That was the funniest but scariest thing, haha. There was a light post within that bush and I maybe missed it by 5 inches or so but it was worth it and I held onto the ball so it's all good. Our team won...of course ;)

Well, I'm pretty tired right now and still need to pack and shower for our early early day tomorrow. Hope for the best!

Good night!

4 comments:

  1. first of all, I've seen that tornado making machine before at a museum and it's SO cool! I thought of you when I saw it. no lie.

    second of all, my half brother got married at the red rocks place! It was pretty awes if I do say so myself. His reception was under a rock lol. but it was a lot COOLER than it sounds... get it cooler, under a rock... under rocks are cooler temp wise.... HAHA!

    I hope you have the worst weather in the world tomorrow and live to tell about it :)

    All my best,
    The poster child for the Save the Gulls Foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the Coors tour everything you thought it would be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Great pictures! Sounds like the days are long. Good luck with srorm cells in Nebraska! Until tomorrow! Aunty M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linz, you know I love a good pun! That was mad awes! Also, how come I never heard about this tornado making machine that you saw and thought of me because of??? Hmmm??

    The Coors tour was most def interesting...I don't know if I expected much so I guess it was everything I thought it would be, lol.

    ReplyDelete